A question about SearchIndexer.exe.
I have been monitoring my computer performance periodically since the first day I bout the laptop.
It has 4 Gig RAM and is running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bit edition.
Lately I have noticed some oddities with a certain process and it's services.
Usually my idle physical memory usage is usually in the low 30 percentile range.
One day I noticed that the physical memory usage was much higher by about 6 or so %.
I check it out and noticed that SearchIndexer.exe was using a LOT memory than it usually
It was using about 120,000 Kilobytes of memory.
So I decided to check out the services for that process.
The service was WSearch (Windows Search), normal as always.
There are some odd things going on with the service though...
The PID of the service always changes on computer reboot or whenever I restart
I'm not sure if it's normal for services to change their PID's, so please tell me wrong or right.
Also, I find it rather odd that the group that the service is associated with is N.A.
By checking service explorer window, it tells me that the service
is actually part of the SYSTEM group.
So this leads me to the final question.
Is this process malware, does it have some sort of error, or is it perfectly normal? I have performed many different AV scans and etc.
and it all came out clean.
Anwsers to the Problem A question about SearchIndexer.exe.
Your description sounds normal.
After it's initial run to index the selected files/folders on the drive, the search indexer will run periodically to index new files and reindex modified files.
The length of time it runs and the amount of memory it uses depends on how heavily the system has been used and how many changes have been made to the file system since the last scheduled indexing.
Hope this helps.
Thank You for using Windows 7
Ronnie Vernon MVP
Windows Error Reporting - To Fix A question about SearchIndexer.exe.
- Go to Start button.
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to Windows Error Reporting.
- Click on System and Maintenance, then click Problem Reports and Solutions.
- Next, click Change Settings located on the left side panel of the Problem Reports and Solutions window.
- Select an option to configure how you want Windows to look for a solution to your problems. You may allow Windows to do it automatically or ask you every time to check if problem occurs.
- Next, click the Advanced settings link.
- Select Off to turn off Error Reporting.
Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: A question about SearchIndexer.exe.:
How to Fix A question about SearchIndexer.exe. with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The errors will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: [Solved] Applications have stopped working with SP1 on Windows 7!,[Solved] I can't find auto complete text in word 2007,[Solution] I need to keep reinstalling eHome Infrared Transceiver driver everytime my computer shuts down.,How to Resolve - system restore not working windows 7?,Unable to open embedded word file on the intranet. [Solved],Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,[Anwsered] Thinkpad 8611 Boot,How to Resolve - Svchost Helper?,Fast Solution to Problem: L30 101 Driver Windows 7,Troubleshooter of Error: Io Device,How to Fix Error - Dell Laptop Code 39?
Read More: Troubleshooting:Activate first blank cell after data sort Macro Error,Troubleshooting:A secure environment has stopped responding - ??,Fast Solution to Error: ADD FAVORITES - view main folders only, with + to expand,How to Fix - A Paste is automatically combining data into one cell - how do I stop this??,[Solved] action center shows problem with PsiKey, it wont install,Cannot delete empty file icon on desktop...,Cannot download flashplayer,can't get the CIA review progrom install which is an older version,Cannot access one website-DNS server not responding.,Can't Receive or Send Vista Windows Mail - Router stopped recognizing DSL connection & wants to dial up