Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:Users User Name AppData LocalLow. Error:The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002
Microsoft issued KB979281 to fix this problem. Here's what the resolution says: This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
Windows Backup tries to back up files in the LocalLow, Contacts and Searches folders.
These folders are not present on your computer.
Note These folders are created only if certain applications are installed on the computer.
On my system these folders are present. I tried the fix anyway, but didn't select any of these files to back up. It didn't fix the problem for me. Why is Windows trying to back up these files in the first place? What course of action is available to me
Solutions to the Problem Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:Users User Name AppData LocalLow. Error:The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002
Disable your security softwares and perform the backup to determine if it’s interferring with the backup process.
Still no go? You may follow the steps mentioned below for further troubleshooting.
Ensure that you enable the security softwares once you’re done
with the troubleshooting.
This problem could also be due to one or more profiles under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList with missing ProfileImagePath.
To check whether you have missing profiles:
Caution: The registry contains critical settings that are necessary for your system to function properly.
Take extra caution while making changes.
For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the
registry if a problem occurs.
For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article below:
Back up the registry
1. Open regedit, navigate to the above registry key.
Expand the list
2. Click on each of the profiles listed.
The first 3 profiles should have ProfileImagePath value of
3. Starting from the 4th profile, the ProfileImagePath should contain path to the user profiles on your machine, such as C:\users\Christine
4. If one or more of the profile has no profile image, then you have missing profiles.
To work around this, delete the profile in question:
1. First, export the ProfileList key for safekeeping.
(Right click on the key, choose “Export”, and save it to the desktop.)
2. Right click on the profile in question, choose delete.
3. Try backup again.
Common causes and solutions to Backup, System Restore, and Complete PC Backup problems - updated!
Shinmila H - Microsoft Support
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Note: It is recommended that you back up your files and folders before attempting this step:
- Move the mouse cursor over to the upper right side of the screen.
- A menu will pop up on the left. Click on the "Settings" feature on the menu.
- On the Settings window, click on the "Change PC settings."
- Now, left click on the "Update and recovery" feature.
- For the next step, left click on the "Recovery" feature.
- There is an option here saying "Refresh your PC without affecting your files." There, left click on the "Get started" button.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen to finish the Refresh process.
- After the Refresh process has finished restart your Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 device.
- Check again to see if the error Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:Users User Name AppData LocalLow. Error:The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002 has been fixed.
If you do not possess the technical expertise required to accomplish this yourself or do not feel comfortable doing so, download and install a powerful automated tool to get the job done.
Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:Users User Name AppData LocalLow. Error:The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002:
How to Fix Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:Users User Name AppData LocalLow. Error:The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002 with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The junk files will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: AMD Radeon HD 7800M Win8 not working [Anwsered],I can access the internet, get on facebook and get to hotmail, but I can't play games on facebook and I can't open or respond to my e-mails,I keep getting this Media Player error when I log on my computer. [Anwsered],[Anwsered] System Hanging on shutdown and restart,Unable to get the Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class,Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22)
Read More: Backup in Windows 7. When I try to backup to my Seagate 3.5 inch push button backup 250 GB 2.0 external hard drive, Model # ST3250 601U2RK, my computer shuts down.__ [Solved],Automatically saving new versions of a file,Automatic drop down list of customers name,Troubleshoot:Arrange a list of names alphabetically in a Word file Error,Troubleshoot:Are there anyone who knows if exist Microsoft Resource Kit 2008? Error,application not found error,any problems in a team where one has Windows XP and the other has Windows 7?,Application/Object-Defined Error,An Excel formula question where hours are totalled and cumulating,Anyone know the hardware email?