Backup and Restore, Can't restore from archived XP backup files
I had to recover some files from an archived backup file that I had saved prior to installing Windows 7. These files were made using the XP Profession's Backup Utility. The Windows 7 Backup and Restore Utility does not recognize these older files.
I was able to recover these files only because I have an older laptop that still has XP Professional installed.
In the future, can I copy over the XP Professional Backup Utility to my Windows 7 system, and then run it in XP mode? Will that work?
Keys to the Problem Backup and Restore, Can't restore from archived XP backup files
With Windows 7, you cannot recover these files back.
But using XP Mode in Windows 7 should help you to recognize these older files as it has the Backup Tool within.
This will only help you to retrieve your data files, which you may have to paste in
right locations if you are familiar with it.
As XP Mode is only virtual Mode, it won’t copy any files into the Windows 7 location.
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Note: It is recommended that you back up your files and folders before attempting this step:
- Move the mouse cursor over to the upper right side of the screen.
- A menu will pop up on the left. Click on the "Settings" feature on the menu.
- On the Settings window, click on the "Change PC settings."
- Now, left click on the "Update and recovery" feature.
- For the next step, left click on the "Recovery" feature.
- There is an option here saying "Refresh your PC without affecting your files." There, left click on the "Get started" button.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen to finish the Refresh process.
- After the Refresh process has finished restart your Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 device.
- Check again to see if the error Backup and Restore, Can't restore from archived XP backup files has been fixed.
If you do not possess the technical expertise required to accomplish this yourself or do not feel comfortable doing so, download and install a powerful automated tool to get the job done.
Recommended Method to Fix the Problem: Backup and Restore, Can't restore from archived XP backup files:
How to Fix Backup and Restore, Can't restore from archived XP backup files with SmartPCFixer?
1. You can Download Error Fixer here. Install it on your computer. When you open it, it will perform a scan.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems need to be fixed. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: AMD Radeon HD 7800M Win8 not working [Anwsered],I can access the internet, get on facebook and get to hotmail, but I can't play games on facebook and I can't open or respond to my e-mails,I keep getting this Media Player error when I log on my computer. [Anwsered],[Anwsered] System Hanging on shutdown and restart,Unable to get the Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class,Solution to Error: Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive.
,Troubleshoot:External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Error
,I'm always being signed off so annoying Tech Support
,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.
,Solution to Problem: Referencing data in another file
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22)
Read More: Troubleshooting:Backup and\/or formatting dvds causes drive to go into a loop. Need to manually eject to stop it. Error,Solution to Error: Are the MCSA and MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 essentially the same thing? From the looks of it they have the exact same course requirements.,AVERAGEIF and AND functions. How can I average one column if another column meets a RANGE of criteria,Troubleshooting:Averaging a group of cells with percentages & ignoring the 0% cells,[Solution] AutoPlay not running properly so my Seagate hard drive not open,application not found error,any problems in a team where one has Windows XP and the other has Windows 7?,Application/Object-Defined Error,An Excel formula question where hours are totalled and cumulating,Anyone know the hardware email?