An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Code 80244018 Windows update encountered an unknown error.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate at home on a stand alone PC. I am not part of a network (other than connecting to the Internet) and I do not have a server. My Windows Automatic Updates stopped working on August 21, 2010 and has not worked since. The error
messages says, "An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
Code 80244018 Windows update encountered an unknown error."
From the research I've done, this error code pertains to something called Windows Server Update Services, which is used in a client-server setting. I don't see how WSUS pertains to me, and/or why it would be enabled on my computer. I do install new software
from time to time, so maybe WSUS was enabled my mistake, but I doubt it.
According to my Control Panel, on August 21, 2010 (the last time Windows Update worked), I installed three programs that day: 1) ffdshow (DVD utility); 2) WinPcap 4.1.2 (packet capture and filtering engine); 3) PlayFLV (utility to allows Windows Media
Player to play FLV formatted video files). Of these 3, the only potential culprit would be WinPcap, I think. So, I uninstalled WinPcap and tried running the update again, but I got the same error message.
Also, I have disabled my firewall and tried the update again, to no avail. And I am not running a proxy server. Any help I can get would be appreciated. Thank you.
Solutions to the Problem An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Code 80244018 Windows update encountered an unknown error.
Note: It is recommended that you back up your files and folders before attempting this step:
- Move the mouse cursor over to the upper right side of the screen.
- A menu will pop up on the left. Click on the "Settings" feature on the menu.
- On the Settings window, click on the "Change PC settings."
- Now, left click on the "Update and recovery" feature.
- For the next step, left click on the "Recovery" feature.
- There is an option here saying "Refresh your PC without affecting your files." There, left click on the "Get started" button.
- Now, follow the instructions on the screen to finish the Refresh process.
- After the Refresh process has finished restart your Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 device.
- Check again to see if the error An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Code 80244018 Windows update encountered an unknown error. has been fixed.
If you do not possess the technical expertise required to accomplish this yourself or do not feel comfortable doing so, download and install a powerful automated tool to get the job done.
Another Safe way to Repair the Problem: An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Code 80244018 Windows update encountered an unknown error.:
How to Fix An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer. Code 80244018 Windows update encountered an unknown error. with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The junk files will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is finished, you can see the errors and problems need to be repaired. Click Fix All.
3. The Repair part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed. You can also use other functions in SmartPCFixer. Like dll downloading, junk file cleaning and print spooler error repair.
Related: error message fsui.exe/ wlidcli.dll is missing
,Solution to Error: Excel: Automatic number generation
,Troubleshoot:i wanna change language of all windows in Windows 7 Home Premium
,Troubleshooting:IF Function, if the vendor ID in column A matches any of the vendor ID's in column F, I want 1099 to appear in column D. Error
,Fast Solution to Problem: ReadyBoost is not working properly in my computer
,Troubleshoot:Error: "0x81000032 make sure the C: drive is online and set to NTFS" when trying to backup to external hard drive. Error,External Hard Drive not listed in Windows 7 backup wizard Tech Support,Tech Support: I'm always being signed off so annoying,Solution to Problem: Impossible to use Internet Explorer! I keep getting the same error message every time i try to use IE.,Referencing data in Access using Excel [Anwsered],Need Best Way To Present Data [Anwsered],Same question but for windows 7 home edition,sometimes fullscreen won't activate [Solved],Solution to Error: We bought a new computer with windows 7 and it is constantly freezing. How do we fix this?,Solution to Error: Windows 8 update crash (2013-07-22),brclr.dll.mu_ Missing Error Fixer,How To Resolve Missing fin_myagtui.eng Problem,Corrupted f_0006ad File - How to Fix,nkebigvg.cpl Not Found Error Fixer,Corrupted olcontrols.ocx File - How to Fix
Read More: Troubleshooting:An internal error occurred in Microsoft Internet Extensions (MSXML 5.0) Error,How to Fix Error - Application hang resulting system administration failure?,[Solved] AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5470,[Solution] AMD 7670m not working \"Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working\",How Can You Fix - Any print freezes but intermittently. At same time paste also causes freeze.?,After Windows Update CD/DVD drive does not work,After installing windows 7 to laptop the labels print out of line how can I fix it,After my computer sleeps the wireless always disconnects and will no reconnect,After signing into Pogo.com, I get a message" This tab has been recovered"....what does this mean and how do I fix it.....,All desktop icons changed to windows live and does not open